Skip to main content

Back To Searching

One thing about me, I’m an eternal optimist. I’m always looking for a positive resolution to any problem. Always looking for the bright side of things. So much so that even after a decidedly chaotic day at work, someone said “I don’t know how you’re holding up with all of this”. I didn’t scream. I didn’t yell. I just get on with things.  And so this week after the coop board rejected my application, I didn’t grimace. I didn’t cry and I didn’t yell. Instead I did what I normally do, I carried on. I was disappointed to say the least, but there was also this overwhelmed since of relief. Almost as if the dark cloud that hung over this coop deal from day one had disappeared.  We went into contact in June. And there were many delays to secure a mortgage commitment and I had to switch lenders. I thought the coop would finally be mine. I was certain of it. I had already begun to decorate in my mind. I had chosen paint colors and patterns and planned parties with my friends and family.  After hearing about the coop decision, I was disappointed. The coop board rejected my application because they were concerned about my student loans, though they added, “we found you to be very likeable”.  As if that was meant to console me. I immediately began the property search again.  The daunting search. This time I’m a lot wiser, I thought. I texted my real estate agent, Adele and she didn’t respond. That was odd. She usually responds within a few hours. Twenty four hours past and I got a text asking me to “keep her in your prayers”. I immediately called her number and spoke to her son, who informed me that Adele was involved in a serious car accident several days earlier and was currently in the ICU. He mentioned that she had bleeding on her brain and was experiencing memory loss. That was a shock. I told him I would keep her in my prayers.  

All of this unfortunate news brought me back to a website that I’ve frequented on and on for the last several months. It was recommended by one of my graduate school professors, Dr. Quinn, who is knowledgeable and involved in astrology.  As I teenager, I dabbled in horoscope and read Sydney Omar cover to cover until my well meaning Aunt told me that the horoscopes where dabbling in the occult. Over the years I read the odd forecast not giving it much thought until now.  Firstly I’m a Leo.  The astrologer, Susan Miller, wrote that “October is not due to be an easy month” and “Stay observant, and don't count your chickens before they hatch. When I first read this I scoffed. But I knew deep down that she had been accurate in the past about other things and I was hoping that this time she was wide of the mark for a change. But as I am learning, she isn’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi