Skip to main content

I found another house


At the end of July, I thought that I had found my dream home. I made an offer. The seller countered. Then I accepted the seller’s counter offer.  I was already trying to schedule the home inspection when my realtor, Robert, texted me that the seller wanted to hold off. Well, according to Robert, the seller decided to sell the home to his neighbor’s friend. I was disappointed but then oddly felt relief. As much as I like the home and the area, I was a little worried that the location was a little too isolated. It was close to buses but far away from the train. I was concerned about how I would get to and from work. Robert would still make his commission as he was acting as both the buyer and seller’s agent. Everyone was happy except for me.

I then called another former realtor, Louis, and we began looking at properties.  We went to an open house on a quiet street, a few blocks away from a subway station and a block from a bus, that was listed below market value. There were probably about thirty other buyers at this open house. And most of these buyers were first timers like myself. My competition was fierce. I made small talk with a few of them and attempted to find out how long they had been looking. I met a young couple with an adorable eight-month-old son. The couple lived and worked in Manhattan in a one-bedroom apartment. They wanted to purchase in Brooklyn because they needed more space for their son and of course Brooklyn was more affordable. Another first-time home buyer was a woman who couldn’t decide if she wanted to be in Brooklyn or Queens. She had been looking in residential parts of Queens and felt that Brooklyn had more to offer. The woman became frustrated about the long wait to get inside the property as they were only taking us in two at a time. I’m not exaggerating when I say that the line to get into this open house stretched around the block.  Passing cars slowed down once they saw the thirty of us, single file, queuing outside a house on a humid Sunday afternoon.  

The young couple liked the house and I was almost positive that they would make an offer that day. They had been to several open houses on this Sunday and had spent almost an hour driving from upper Manhattan to Brooklyn to view houses.  I  liked the house too. It reminded me of a small cottage. The layout was great and I could see that the seller had maximized the space. I especially liked the third bedroom which was located on the second floor. Louis and I knew the house was going to sell for more than the listing price. I told him that I didn’t want a bidding war so I ended up not making an offer.

A few days later Louis took me to see a four-bedroom house walking distance from “the cottage”. I was immediately in love. The home was immaculate. The seller had completed every upgrade to this home. All I had to do was move in. But I realized that this was way too much house for me. Even more importantly, I couldn’t afford it.  I had a lot to think about. And as I drove home in the rainstorm in my tiny car with lightening flashing and thunder roaring above me, I began to think about the cottage house.  I pulled over to the side of the road to send Louis a text, “is that cottage house still available?” Louis called the listing agency who informed him that there was an offer on the table but a contract wasn't signed. Louis asked me to give my best offer. And so, I did.  That was on August 14th 2018. On August 15th 2018, I submitted a copy of my pre-approval letter and the signed offer. Several hours later, Louis texted me that my offer was accepted.

The cottage has a lot of potential. It is small but cute.  It is closer to the subway, a major plus for me.  I had to realize that I had to compromise on my wants. The house offered everything that I needed. It has three bedrooms and two baths. The downstairs recreation space was the length of the house.  Apart from needing a fresh coat of paint throughout and cleaning, it was almost perfect. My attorney was  notified.  On 8/17/18, Louis found a home inspector, whom  I spoke to today.  We have an inspection scheduled for Tuesday at 10 am. If all goes well. I could be signing a contract by Wednesday, hopefully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi