Skip to main content

I'm Back, Again!

Yesterday I met up with my friend Dominique for lunch. We laughed and gossip and ruined our diets. We went to the new Michael’s on Atlantic Avenue

 and wondered about downtown Brooklyn shopping at Loft and Housing Works on Montague Street.

Eventually the conversation turned to our dreams.  For as long as I could remember, Dominique has always wanted to start her own business. 

She makes really great natural products such as lip balms, lotions and deodorants.  
I was encouraging her to continue as a sort of side hustle as I felt she was giving up on her dreams. But there I realized that I had also given up on my dreams. It has been over a year since I last blogged and that wasn’t my intention.  My dream was to buy a home and blog about that experience but somewhere along the way I got discouraged and stopped looking. I stopped attending open houses or even searching properties on Streeteasy and Zillow. 




 And so as I got home later that evening I started thinking more about the things I wanted to accomplish this year.  One of those being to blog a least once per week. And two, to buy a home.  Over the last year there has been a lot of positive changes in my life and feel that I am better able to cope with some of the stresses of home ownership, dealing with coop boards and mortgage brokers and finding a home on a moderate budget (no trust fund baby or cash buyer here).  I know what I want (a two bedroom apartment, lots of closet space, close to public transportation) and also what I don’t need.  So here I go again searching for my first home. My dream home. You’re welcome to join me on this journey.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to My Blog!

Hello, my name is Marissa. I’m new to blogging. I don’t have a degree in design and I’m not a professional decorator. I just love decorating.
I love home improvement and design shows. I love HGTV and apartmenttherapy.com. 
My favorite shows are House Hunters, The High Low Project, The Property Brothers, Love It or List It and Property Virgins.
I’m also in the process of buying my first home, a cooperative apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Buying a home is a giant step but it’s also an expensive one too.
I have big plans for my first home. However I'm now realizing that most of the work I planned for the home, I can't afford.
I have been looking for a home for several years, but seriously looking for about a year. Most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I live and work in Brooklyn so it only made sense for me to stay here. But Brooklyn real estate is not cheap.
My Coop wish lists were: a two bedroom apartment, with lots of closet space, natural light and windows in the kitchen and bathroom. I…

Debt Free Journey

In the last few months,   I started 2 new jobs and bought a car. But let me start at the beginning.  In 2016, I made a resolution, along with the usual lose weight promises of years past, this year I had a plan of focusing on my financial future. Managing my debt. I asked myself what goals I wanted to accomplish in 2016 and developed a plan of how to accomplished those goals. I made a vision board and then I drew my own mind map. I was watching motivation videos on YouTube and TED talks. I would watch Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey and be inspired. I was on a goal of financial self-improvement.
I made it a goal to find a higher paying job with my company. I mastered the “tell me about yourself” question and practiced my response in the mirror. I was confident. And after multiply revisions to my resume, careful crafted cover letters and multiple interviews, my hard work paid off. I got a job. Yeah me! Three years after graduate school, I finally got a job in my field.  With new job came …

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following:


This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker.

This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the living room. I like the Damask s…