Skip to main content

Dipping My Toes

While surfing StreetEasy, I noticed that there was a new two-bedroom apartment listed in my ideal neighborhood. The price is absolutely ridiculously overpriced though I was curious and wanted to see the apartment in person. I knew from past experience that the apartment looks much larger usually in person than they appear on line. I clicked the call the agent feature on StreetEasy and I was connected to a Broker name Owen. Owen isn’t the listing agent however he would meet with me at the property and offer me guidance, realtor services if I needed to make an offer.  I wasn’t going to make an offer.  Firstly, the property was ridiculously overpriced.  Secondly, it was small.  The apartment opens into a small foyer where you can see the living/dining area. Left of the foyer was a retro pink bathroom, then a master bedroom with two nice closets (one of them a walk in).  The second bedroom is actually I half bedroom right off the kitchen. Owen made a point of telling me that the kitchen cabinets were granite. Needless to say, I wasn’t impressed. I couldn’t get over the price.  

Owen and I spoke a few minutes later outside the property, where he made his realtor pitch. He asked if I was pre-approved and I said no. I said this was my first time searching in more than a year. He starts to tell me that the apartment was actually a good price but then again, he added, he has never worked with any coops before. He used to listing and showing houses. He has a potential listing next week (a two bedroom coop a few blocks away) and asked me if I wanted to see it and I said yes. Then he tells me that both apartments will go fast. There is something about people who work off commission that I find deplorable, pushiness.  I was put off. I asked him with all honesty, “If I was your daughter, how much would you tell me to offer on this property”. He quoted me a price that was $40,000 less than the asking price. I tell him that I still don’t believe that the apartment is worth that much. He asked what was my budget and I quote him 2x times my current 9 am to 5pm salary. I mentioned to him that I also had a side hustle with income that fluctuates each month. But I wanted to stay in a comfortable price range due to my monthly bills which includes student loan repayment, car insurance and car loan payment.  Owen basically tells me that I was being too cautious and now was the best time to buy.  His tone did not impress me much. Right now, I don’t think I will be working with Owen, however I will look about getting pre-approved and start back on my home search journey. I will keep you posted. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home