Skip to main content

House Vs Coop

Initially when I started my home search I was looking for a two-bedroom coop apartment in Brooklyn.  However, for the last few weeks I’ve been looking at houses.  I had no desire to own a house before. I always thought that house ownership would be too much work to maintain and that I was not mentally or physically prepared to deal with all of the responsibilities of house ownership.  Even now, typing this, I’m feeling rather overwhelmed by the idea of shoveling snow.  But I can’t deny that there are a ton of perks of having a house that are simply not available with a coop. For one, there isn’t a coop board to snoop around my finances, ask about my further plans for the property and hurl intrusive questions at me about why I had student loan debt.

I guess my shift in thinking began late last year as I started attending more open houses.  I fell in like with the idea of having more space and possible having a tenant to assist me with paying my mortgage each month. I realized that in Brooklyn the cost of a two-bedroom coop or condominium is comparable to a three-bedroom home.  With a house I will have the option of not just more space but a driveway and a backyard.  I’m thinking it makes more financial sense to own a house.  

The houses that I’ve been looking at have mostly been three to four bedroom attached ranch. My budget is still very conservative however and I have been open to the idea of purchasing a fixer upper.  I’m not naturally handy. Therefore, I’m in no rush to start a renovation project. I think I can cope with a slightly outdated 1950’s style kitchen or a retro blue or pink bathroom for the time being.
I wrote all that to say that my home-ownership options remain open. My focus is not as narrow as it once had been. I’m looking for a home and that could either be a coop or a house.

So below I have taken a few pictures of some renovated properties that I view recently.  Both homes were bank foreclosures that were renovated for a quick sale.

House # 1, I liked a lot. I loved the block, a quiet tree line street of similar looking detached and semi-detached homes. It was a 3 bedroom with 2.5 bathrooms and a large renovated basement that could be used as an office, extra bedroom or a rental unit. 

It also had a detached garage at the back, with adequate space for entertaining friends and family at a backyard barbeque.  Still I felt that it was $100k overpriced. 

House # 2, was less impressive. It was also a 3-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom. It had a basement and backyard deck with a small back garden. It was next to a cemetery. 

Then there were these horrible white marbled titled floors that seemed rather out of place with the rest of the house.

I hated the fact that the bathroom was so close to the kitchen.  House # 2 was $60k more than house # 1 and for the life of me, I don’t understand why.  

So here I go again searching for property, and hopefully making an offer soon on my first home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Right Building, Wrong Apartment

A few days ago, I met with my attorney and we had a discussion about the two bedroom property that I made an offer on in October.  While he agreed that the space was good and the price was not bad, he was concern that the coop was being mismanaged. I have had some of the same concerns as well. I had been doing some reach online and the feedback has not been positive. I observed documents on Trulia, Zillow and Streeteasy that shows that in 2008 and 2009, at the height of the economic downturn, the property values on the cooperative started to nose dive. Then banks started to refuse mortgage applications for the building. The coops has yet to recover and the prices have continued their downward slide. Another pressing concern was that the coop has not properly budgeted for needed repairs and expenses. In 2012, The building had a operating cost of $6.4 million dollars but had only budgeted for $6 million. That means that the cooperative is operating at a loss. My attorney said that for a