After 5 years and countless open houses, I found a home that I want to purchase. Things have been moving pretty fast since that initial viewing a little over a week ago. I made an offer. The seller countered my offer. I accepted the counter. In fact, I agreed to all the seller’s terms and conditions and did not even negotiate the closing cost. All that was left to do is to sign documents. In the meantime, I was decorating the home in my mind. I had picked out paint colors, stained the floors and had even updated the old fashioned bathroom sink and cabinet. It seems that it would all go to plan and by the end of August, I imagined myself accepting the keys to my dream home. My mother was excited. She imagined coming to visit and having afternoon tea. I found a housing inspector and we awaited the seller’s availability for us to inspect the home.
But then today, I received an text from my realtor stating that the seller wants to “place things on hold”. What does that mean? His he referring to the sale of the home or just the inspection. But my realtor only responded, “I’m not sure. I will speak to him tonight”. And you know what, I felt oddly relief. What was that about? I really like the house. I like the location, the easy access to transportation, the close proximity to shops. It wasn’t the ranch style that I initially envision but instead a three-bedroom single family home with an unfinished basement and a lot of room for growth. But secretly I began to wonder if I needed all this space and responsibility. I’m not daunted by the idea of shoveling snow. But it has been the other unexpected costs and maintenance that scare the heck out of me. Those expenses can add up pretty fast. I still want the home, but mingled with the excitement was this huge fear of the unknown. I have been an emotional mess all week.
But here I am again, back on StreetEasy and Trulia, waiting for my realtor to call or text, waiting to find out if my dream of home ownership will come through.