Skip to main content

I found a home


After 5 years and countless open houses, I found a home that I want to purchase.  Things have been moving pretty fast since that initial viewing a little over a week ago.  I made an offer. The seller countered my offer. I accepted the counter. In fact, I agreed to all the seller’s terms and conditions and did not even negotiate the closing cost.  All that was left to do is to sign documents. In the meantime, I was decorating the home in my mind. I had picked out paint colors, stained the floors and had even updated the old fashioned bathroom sink and cabinet. It seems that it would all go to plan and by the end of August, I imagined myself accepting the keys to my dream home. My mother was excited. She imagined coming to visit and having afternoon tea. I found a housing inspector and we awaited the seller’s availability for us to inspect the home.

But then today, I received an text from my realtor stating that the seller wants to “place things on hold”.  What does that mean? His he referring to the sale of the home or just the inspection. But my realtor only responded, “I’m not sure. I will speak to him tonight”.  And you know what, I felt oddly relief. What was that about? I really like the house. I like the location, the easy access to transportation, the close proximity to shops. It wasn’t the ranch style that I initially envision but instead a three-bedroom single family home with an unfinished basement and a lot of room for growth. But secretly I began to wonder if I needed all this space and responsibility.  I’m not daunted by the idea of shoveling snow. But it has been the other unexpected costs and maintenance that scare the heck out of me. Those expenses can add up pretty fast. I still want the home, but mingled with the excitement was this huge fear of the unknown. I have been an emotional mess all week. 

But here I am again, back on StreetEasy and Trulia, waiting for my realtor to call or text, waiting to find out if my dream of home ownership will come through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Another Setback

As if I needed any more convincing that there is an entity or higher being that doesn't want me to purchase my first apartment. Last week while at work, I got two missed calls from my real estate agent, each a minute apart. On the second call she left a voice-mail message asking me to get in touch. I didn't immediately think that there were any concerns as the day prior we were talking about me signing the contract and completing my coop board application. I was super excited about the process now and my previous anxiety were beginning to fade away. I called the real estate agent back but I was not at all prepared for what she had to say.   “Are you at work?” she asked.  “Yes”, I responded.  “I wanted to talk to you when you're home,” “What's going on?” I asked finally coming to the realization that all was not well.  “I don't think you're going to be able to move forward on the property.” “What? Why?” “Well, the Sellers’s attorney informed me th