Skip to main content

Another Setback

lake geneva open house
As if I needed any more convincing that there is an entity or higher being that doesn't want me to purchase my first apartment. Last week while at work, I got two missed calls from my real estate agent, each a minute apart. On the second call she left a voice-mail message asking me to get in touch. I didn't immediately think that there were any concerns as the day prior we were talking about me signing the contract and completing my coop board application. I was super excited about the process now and my previous anxiety were beginning to fade away. I called the real estate agent back but I was not at all prepared for what she had to say. 
 “Are you at work?” she asked. 
“Yes”, I responded. 
“I wanted to talk to you when you're home,”
“What's going on?” I asked finally coming to the realization that all was not well. 
“I don't think you're going to be able to move forward on the property.”
“What? Why?”
“Well, the Sellers’s attorney informed me this morning that the apartment is in foreclosure.” I was silent for a minute, not quite sure if I understood what she was saying. But I allowed her to continue, “Well, the Sellers have not paid the mortgage in about three months and the bank foreclosed on the property”.
I finally let out a huge laugh as an odd sense of relief just swept over me.
“You’re not upset”.
I cackled, “No”.
And I was not “upset”. I just wanted this exhausting home search to come to an end. I’m tired of going to open houses, tired of searching.  This past weekend, I went to seven open houses, still not seeing anything that I really wanted. 

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to My Blog!

Hello, my name is Marissa. I’m new to blogging. I don’t have a degree in design and I’m not a professional decorator. I just love decorating.
I love home improvement and design shows. I love HGTV and apartmenttherapy.com. 
My favorite shows are House Hunters, The High Low Project, The Property Brothers, Love It or List It and Property Virgins.
I’m also in the process of buying my first home, a cooperative apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Buying a home is a giant step but it’s also an expensive one too.
I have big plans for my first home. However I'm now realizing that most of the work I planned for the home, I can't afford.
I have been looking for a home for several years, but seriously looking for about a year. Most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I live and work in Brooklyn so it only made sense for me to stay here. But Brooklyn real estate is not cheap.
My Coop wish lists were: a two bedroom apartment, with lots of closet space, natural light and windows in the kitchen and bathroom. I…

Debt Free Journey

In the last few months,   I started 2 new jobs and bought a car. But let me start at the beginning.  In 2016, I made a resolution, along with the usual lose weight promises of years past, this year I had a plan of focusing on my financial future. Managing my debt. I asked myself what goals I wanted to accomplish in 2016 and developed a plan of how to accomplished those goals. I made a vision board and then I drew my own mind map. I was watching motivation videos on YouTube and TED talks. I would watch Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey and be inspired. I was on a goal of financial self-improvement.
I made it a goal to find a higher paying job with my company. I mastered the “tell me about yourself” question and practiced my response in the mirror. I was confident. And after multiply revisions to my resume, careful crafted cover letters and multiple interviews, my hard work paid off. I got a job. Yeah me! Three years after graduate school, I finally got a job in my field.  With new job came …

Budgeting and the New York Lifestyle

The other day I met up with my good friend, Tracey, for lunch. These days we always seem to talk more about our careers and financial matters.  Tracey and I are in the same career field but have different kinds of responsibility. My job, for a large government agency, requires me to spend long hours on my feet and travel to many locations. Glamorous it’s not but it allows me a lot of autonomy. Tracey works on a yearly contract for a University in Manhattan. I live in Brooklyn with a roommate. Tracey lives in Manhattan with a roommate.
Tracey complained about her lack of autonomy and job security.  Tracey, like many people, feels that she is underpaid for the life style that she wants to live. I mentioned several times in this blog how totally uncool I am. I don’t hang out in trendy coffee shops and don’t spend long hours queuing to get into the hottest new restaurants. I don’t have a gym membership. Instead I take great pleasure in finding free and inexpensive things to do around the …