Skip to main content

Buying a Fixer-upper


For the last few days, my agent and I have been looking at apartments in need of renovations. In other words, fixer-uppers. As mention before my budget is small and therefore I'm willing to make some concessions on my wish list items, such as updated kitchen and updated bathroom. I am not willing to compromise however on closet space, that is an absolute deal breaker to me.  Needless to say we were hoping to get a bargain. Neither apartment were in my ideal neighborhood and I decided that I would compromise on the location because they were not too far away from where I wanted to be. Apartment # 2 best fit my location wish list as it was close to a subway station and lots of buses. It also has a business district which includes shopping, restaurants, etc. Apartment #1 was in a more quiet area and is less than 10 minutes away by driving and maybe about 15 by bus. I like that Apartment # 1 had a balcony, as I really wanted an apartment with some outdoor space.

  I actually liked Apartment #1.  I'm scarred of the amount of work that is needed. Firstly, it was severely outdated but it has a lot of  potential.  And perhaps most important, It has a balcony. if it hadn't been for the water damage in the bathroom and the confusion over who's responsibility it would be  (mine or the coop board) to fix the pointing issues that are causing the water damage, then I would have definitely made an offer on this property on Saturday.
outdated kitchen with formica walls and counter top

Stained flooring in master bedroom and plastic covering the opening in the wall were an AC should be

water damage in bathroom wall caused by pointing issues

the roof of the balcony

water damage in bathroom ceiling caused by pointing issues

damaged flooring

pointing issues
Apartment#2 I was less found of. I hated the building and felt that it wasn't very well kept. There was peeling paint on the lobby walls and building exterior. I know it seems petty but this is actually a pet peeve of mine. The building didn't look the way I wanted it to. Let me get to the unit. It was dark. And small. And the owners had divided the small living room into two, using one half as a third bedroom.  the property is listed as a two bedroom but I suspected that it was originally a large one bedroom that was turned into a two  to maximize it's rental potential. The listing agent said the unit was previously rented to college students. Below are the best pics of this space. The other images were too dark to publish. Trust me when I saw that the unit was horrible.
the small livingroom

the small master bedroom

bathroom, the best part of this apartment


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi