Skip to main content

“all good things comes to those who wait”

Is it odd that though I haven’t got a closing date, I have already chosen paint colors for my new home? Forget closing, I haven’t even gotten a mortgage commitment as yet.  Like I have mentioned before, I have chosen to focus on the more positive aspects of homeownership than on the things that are out of my control, such as the underwriting process. As frustrating as the mortgage process has been, there is no doubt in my mind that I will not receive the approval. This waiting is just part of the journey.  Most things now appear to be so instantaneous (we get emails and text messages on our cell phones. We can track the arrival of the buses and trains on an app) that we have become accustomed to having everything right away. But there seems to be something for that old adage, “all good things comes to those who wait” or “patience is a virtue”.  I’m trying to put it all into perspective.
This morning at about 9:20 am, I received a forwarded email from my attorney regarding the lack of loan commitment. The buyer’s attorney wanted to know the status. I was at work and in the middle of doing something important though I was immediately overcome with worry. At around 11:20 am I phoned my HSBC mortgage loan officer. She answered the call and we had a brief conversation about my concerns, she stated that she knows I must be frustrated and she will call me back in 15 minutes. 15 minutes came and went. There were no telephone calls. No emails. Then at about 2:30 pm I called her back and left a very detailed message asking her to return my call. Then I called again and conveniently received her voicemail. Still there was no call backs, no emails. At this point I was quiet annoyed. My realtor texts me to let me know that she has also contacted the loan officer and have not received a call back. The realtor was concerned that she wasn’t contacted about the appraisal yet the file was sent to underwriting. I texted her back, “does appraisal happen before underwriting?” She replied “yes”. Now, I was worried. What type of incompetent bastards was I working with at HSBC?  

I called my counselor from the community organization, which had assisted me with acquiring down payment assistance and he tried to calm me down from off the ledge. He quickly shot off an email to the loan officer to respond. So here we are now. More waiting and no mortgage commitment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Timeout on The Property Search

Yesterday was Election Day here in New York, so I got the day off work. The day off give me the opportunity to reflect on the last several months and after serious consideration, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I need to take a break from my property search.  I’m disappointed to have to end the search but I feel like I’m not able to find what I want, in the neighbor that I want, at a price I can afford. It is the first time in this long drawn out process that I have ever considered taking an “hiatus”.  Yesterday, I spoke to my loan officer, about the most recent property that I made on offer on. The bank continues to have concerns regarding the financials of this cooperative and is in doubt that the mortgage will get approved. Despite us requesting documents from the coop, we have yet to receive them. I plan to meet with my attorney today to discuss all of this.

Apartment Hunting

  I have been looking at coop apartments again but I find myself comparing them to the place with the balcony and skyline view of Manhattan. I just want this apartment search to be over already. When I wrote my apartment must have list, I wrote that I wanted a two bedroom cooperative or condominium with a updated kitchen, close to public transportation. That was it really, a small list. I never dream of a balcony, then. Now of course I'm looking for a balcony. Over the weekend I saw a two bedroom apartment in walking distance to the contracted apartment. It was ok, I guess. it had decent amount of space and natural light from every room. The kitchen cabinets were outdated and dark but they were wood and the appliances were white. The price was reasonable too. I should have been excited but I wasn't. It just didn't have that wow factor that the first place had. I couldn't picture myself living there.

Apartment Hunting 2

The last few days have been so busy that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Firstly, I have been apartment shopping again and this weekend, my friend Dominique and I went to three open houses. Dominique has a great eye and was able to catch problems and expenses that I didn't notice at first sight. The first place we saw was on a quiet block of homes and close to transportation. It appealed to me because of its location. It’s a quiet tree-line block, surrounded by residential homes and in a borough like booming gentrified Brooklyn, that’s a rarity. The apartment was a two bedroom that had a nice layout. The owner had a very interesting design style and a color palette. Crown molding in all the rooms.  The kitchen was a small galley with cherry wood cabinets, stainless steel appliances and dark Formica counter tops that mimicked the look of granite. There were some other updates as well, like the custom book shelves and custom wood cover for the radiator and AC units.  What c...