Skip to main content

“all good things comes to those who wait”

Is it odd that though I haven’t got a closing date, I have already chosen paint colors for my new home? Forget closing, I haven’t even gotten a mortgage commitment as yet.  Like I have mentioned before, I have chosen to focus on the more positive aspects of homeownership than on the things that are out of my control, such as the underwriting process. As frustrating as the mortgage process has been, there is no doubt in my mind that I will not receive the approval. This waiting is just part of the journey.  Most things now appear to be so instantaneous (we get emails and text messages on our cell phones. We can track the arrival of the buses and trains on an app) that we have become accustomed to having everything right away. But there seems to be something for that old adage, “all good things comes to those who wait” or “patience is a virtue”.  I’m trying to put it all into perspective.
This morning at about 9:20 am, I received a forwarded email from my attorney regarding the lack of loan commitment. The buyer’s attorney wanted to know the status. I was at work and in the middle of doing something important though I was immediately overcome with worry. At around 11:20 am I phoned my HSBC mortgage loan officer. She answered the call and we had a brief conversation about my concerns, she stated that she knows I must be frustrated and she will call me back in 15 minutes. 15 minutes came and went. There were no telephone calls. No emails. Then at about 2:30 pm I called her back and left a very detailed message asking her to return my call. Then I called again and conveniently received her voicemail. Still there was no call backs, no emails. At this point I was quiet annoyed. My realtor texts me to let me know that she has also contacted the loan officer and have not received a call back. The realtor was concerned that she wasn’t contacted about the appraisal yet the file was sent to underwriting. I texted her back, “does appraisal happen before underwriting?” She replied “yes”. Now, I was worried. What type of incompetent bastards was I working with at HSBC?  

I called my counselor from the community organization, which had assisted me with acquiring down payment assistance and he tried to calm me down from off the ledge. He quickly shot off an email to the loan officer to respond. So here we are now. More waiting and no mortgage commitment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Right Building, Wrong Apartment

A few days ago, I met with my attorney and we had a discussion about the two bedroom property that I made an offer on in October.  While he agreed that the space was good and the price was not bad, he was concern that the coop was being mismanaged. I have had some of the same concerns as well. I had been doing some reach online and the feedback has not been positive. I observed documents on Trulia, Zillow and Streeteasy that shows that in 2008 and 2009, at the height of the economic downturn, the property values on the cooperative started to nose dive. Then banks started to refuse mortgage applications for the building. The coops has yet to recover and the prices have continued their downward slide. Another pressing concern was that the coop has not properly budgeted for needed repairs and expenses. In 2012, The building had a operating cost of $6.4 million dollars but had only budgeted for $6 million. That means that the cooperative is operating at a loss. My attorney said that fo...

Commitment Letter and Appraisal

Today, I got news that I've been waiting for for several months.  I finally got a mortgage commitment letter!  When I got the congratulatory email today there was this sense of I don't know, joy and sadness at the same time. I wanted to scream from the rooftop and then I wanted to cry. I'm excited but past experience has made me extremely cautious. I have always said that I don't want to focus on the negative but there is this part of me that is feeling uncertain and doubtful. A lot has happened over the last several months and it would be heartbreaking to get this far and have to be disappointed. On the other hand, it appears that everything is coming together. Yeah, finally some good news.  We have a tentative closing date of October 1, 2013. But before we get to closing I will need to be interviewed by the coop board. Thankfully I had completed my coop application package in June and the only missing document was the commitment letter, which I imm...

Apartment Hunting 2

The last few days have been so busy that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Firstly, I have been apartment shopping again and this weekend, my friend Dominique and I went to three open houses. Dominique has a great eye and was able to catch problems and expenses that I didn't notice at first sight. The first place we saw was on a quiet block of homes and close to transportation. It appealed to me because of its location. It’s a quiet tree-line block, surrounded by residential homes and in a borough like booming gentrified Brooklyn, that’s a rarity. The apartment was a two bedroom that had a nice layout. The owner had a very interesting design style and a color palette. Crown molding in all the rooms.  The kitchen was a small galley with cherry wood cabinets, stainless steel appliances and dark Formica counter tops that mimicked the look of granite. There were some other updates as well, like the custom book shelves and custom wood cover for the radiator and AC units.  What c...