Skip to main content

Mortgage Loan Follow Up

Today, I was still pretty distressed about the mortgage loan denial. But I’ve been trying to put a positive spin on things, maybe it wasn’t meant to be. As I mention yesterday, my attorney had given me the contact information for a new lender who is now reviewing my documents (2 years tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements and student loan repayment schedule and the cooperative financials). At this point, I was looking forward to my HSBC denial letter as is required. After writing that long blog post yesterday, I had mentally prepared myself for yet more bad news from HSBC. But then I was stunningly surprised by the email I receive this Evening.  The email was forwarded to the loan officer from the underwriter and copied to myself and my attorney. The email states as follows, “the borrower provided a document indicating that her student loans are currently in deferment until 2015. A deferment on a student loan for more than one year indicates that the borrower is still in school. Unless the borrower can provide documentation that the deferment was granted for a reason other than being an active student, we have to include those expenses”. What, does this mean,  that they are still considering me for the mortgage? Now I am confused. Is this one of those strange occasions where ‘no’ actually means ‘yes’. Asking for further documentation on a loan that was denied?

I completed my graduate degree this year and this can be verified by a letter from my school. It can also be explained by my diploma. Now the tricky part. I paid for the first year of school on my own and only applied for a student loan in the second year of my three year program. According to Sallie Mae, I am in school until June 2014. They have also given me a six month grace period before I begin repayment in monthly installments. My grace period ends January 2015. But as I have already begun making payments on the loan I never saw the need to correct Sallie Mae’s record. Therefore, it’s going to be difficult to get a letter from Sallie Mae explaining that I’m no longer enrolled in school. How am I going to be able to “provide documentation that the deferment was granted for a reason other than being an active student”? Help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commitment Letter and Appraisal

Today, I got news that I've been waiting for for several months.  I finally got a mortgage commitment letter!  When I got the congratulatory email today there was this sense of I don't know, joy and sadness at the same time. I wanted to scream from the rooftop and then I wanted to cry. I'm excited but past experience has made me extremely cautious. I have always said that I don't want to focus on the negative but there is this part of me that is feeling uncertain and doubtful. A lot has happened over the last several months and it would be heartbreaking to get this far and have to be disappointed. On the other hand, it appears that everything is coming together. Yeah, finally some good news.  We have a tentative closing date of October 1, 2013. But before we get to closing I will need to be interviewed by the coop board. Thankfully I had completed my coop application package in June and the only missing document was the commitment letter, which I imm...

Apartment Hunting 2

The last few days have been so busy that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Firstly, I have been apartment shopping again and this weekend, my friend Dominique and I went to three open houses. Dominique has a great eye and was able to catch problems and expenses that I didn't notice at first sight. The first place we saw was on a quiet block of homes and close to transportation. It appealed to me because of its location. It’s a quiet tree-line block, surrounded by residential homes and in a borough like booming gentrified Brooklyn, that’s a rarity. The apartment was a two bedroom that had a nice layout. The owner had a very interesting design style and a color palette. Crown molding in all the rooms.  The kitchen was a small galley with cherry wood cabinets, stainless steel appliances and dark Formica counter tops that mimicked the look of granite. There were some other updates as well, like the custom book shelves and custom wood cover for the radiator and AC units.  What c...

Right Building, Wrong Apartment

A few days ago, I met with my attorney and we had a discussion about the two bedroom property that I made an offer on in October.  While he agreed that the space was good and the price was not bad, he was concern that the coop was being mismanaged. I have had some of the same concerns as well. I had been doing some reach online and the feedback has not been positive. I observed documents on Trulia, Zillow and Streeteasy that shows that in 2008 and 2009, at the height of the economic downturn, the property values on the cooperative started to nose dive. Then banks started to refuse mortgage applications for the building. The coops has yet to recover and the prices have continued their downward slide. Another pressing concern was that the coop has not properly budgeted for needed repairs and expenses. In 2012, The building had a operating cost of $6.4 million dollars but had only budgeted for $6 million. That means that the cooperative is operating at a loss. My attorney said that fo...