Skip to main content

Welcome to My Blog!


Hello, my name is Marissa. I’m new to blogging. I don’t have a degree in design and I’m not a professional decorator. I just love decorating.

I love home improvement and design shows. I love HGTV and apartmenttherapy.com. 
My favorite shows are House Hunters, The High Low Project, The Property Brothers, Love It or List It and Property Virgins.

I’m also in the process of buying my first home, a cooperative apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Buying a home is a giant step but it’s also an expensive one too.

I have big plans for my first home. However I'm now realizing that most of the work I planned for the home, I can't afford.

I have been looking for a home for several years, but seriously looking for about a year. Most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I live and work in Brooklyn so it only made sense for me to stay here.  But Brooklyn real estate is not cheap.

My Coop wish lists were: a two bedroom apartment, with lots of closet space, natural light and windows in the kitchen and bathroom. Instead I got a two bedroom apartment with adequate closet space, a balcony, onsite security and a kitchen with a window. The bathroom and kitchen are outdated. I suspect it is the original blue bath tiles from the 1950’s.  It was too good to pass on the balcony with the view of the Freedom Tower and Empire State Buildings. I’m also close to transportation, shops and my friends.

The coop is a like a blank canvas, the walls are all cream colored. The floor is light colored laminate. The coop rules dictates that 80 percent of the coop has to be carpeted but I’m not a big fan of carpeting so I will be using area rugs.

Marissa’s Home Improvement  To Do

1.      I wanted to paint the entire space. I really want a light blue or a light gray bedroom wall. I also love stencils. My current bedroom has a gray accent wall with metallic stenciled Moroccan Trellis design. One of the first things to be painted in the coop is that awful blue bathroom. It needs to be toned down. I wanted to use white gloss paint on the bathroom wall and doors. I would like all white bath accessories.  I haven't decided on a color for the living room as yet but i would like for the space to be light and airy. I’m still looking for inspiration for the living room and the guest bedroom/office.
    

2.     Furniture. I’m moving in with only a bed, which means I will need to furnish my bedroom, living room, the second bedroom, dining room table, etc. I hate clutter and I really don’t want to overdo it with furniture in a small space. I have seen some things that I like but they are way too expensive. What can I say, I have champagne taste on a beer budget. I’m not a big fan of IKEA furniture and some of their accessories and textiles are really cool. I have plans for Black Friday! Macy’s, Raymour and Flanigan here I come. I also like Target, Marshall’s HomeGoods, Kohl’s, Nadeau, Crate and Barrel, West Elm, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Overstock.com and Homedecorators.com to name a few.
   
 I found this upholstered headboard at Macy's 34th Street. This is the look I hope to achieve in my home.
   I want to buy but it's currently $1299! Way out of my price range.


3.     Updating the kitchen. The kitchen is outdated, it is a large space without structure and practicality. A few years ago my sister designed her kitchen with IKEA and it actually turned out pretty good. I might consider them this time too.
Did I mention that I am also on a budget.
I hope to post here at least twice per week on the designs I love, like, or don’t care for and just about anything interesting that I've watched on HGTV.
I will also update you on my home buying process and why in New York closing takes so bloody long (almost two months since we signed the contract).

I’m just an ordinary girl decorating her first home, trying to have fun in the process. Follow me as I attempt to decorate my first home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi