Skip to main content

Positive Thinking and Home Decor Budget


Today I got an email from my attorney enquiring if I had secured a mortgage commitment as yet. Sadly, I had to respond, no. 


It is a reasonably question to ask when you consider that I made an offer on the home on May 3rd 2013 and we went into contract at the end of May.  Everything else from here on in should have gone smoothly.  I thought wrong. Having never purchased a home before I didn't understand the process. I assumed that because I had a 10% down payment and good credit that would be enough. I even completed a first time home buyers class, at HSBC’s request, at a community organization and received a certificate of completion.  This class cost me a nonrefundable fee of $75. The community organization wasn't all bad and I don’t want to give the impression that they did not assist. They helped me to apply for a down payment assistant grant. I am truly grateful for that. 
Still, here I am six weeks later without a mortgage commitment from HSBC and waiting anxiously to move forward on the property.  I’m learning quickly that I've made some mistakes in this process. I did not shop around for a mortgage. Instead, in my haste, I relied on HSBC because we had history together. I was involved in their First Home Club program, where they would match my monthly savings of $188 and put that money toward my closing costs.  The idea of free money was tantalizing. One advice I would give to other first time home buyers is to definitely compare various lenders before committing to one.

One of the ways that I have been keeping myself busy throughout this troubling time is through positive thinking. I have not allowed myself to believe that my mortgage application will be denied. I have been making a list of things I would like to do around the home. In a previous post, I mention that I have a very tight budget of $3500 to decorate the entire home with the exception of the kitchen ( that would be a full renovation job). Here is a list of things that I would like to have accomplished (notice the very original and catchy title, lol)
                                                      Marissa’s Home Décor Budget
Entry Hallway
Estimated Spending
Actual Spending
1.     Paint
2.     Mirror
3.    Picture Frames

Bathroom
1.     Paint (white gloss)
2.     Shower curtain
3.    Toilet seat (blue)
4.    Storage
5.    Bath rugs
6.    Bath mat
Bedroom #1
1.     Paint
2.     Area Rug
3.    Upholstered Headboard
4.    Mirror
5.    Dresser
6.    End Tables (2)
7.    Curtains
Living /Dining Room
1.     Sofa
2.     Dining table and chairs
3.    Area Rug
4.    Buffet/ Console table
5.    Picture Frames
6.    TV stand
7.    TV (46 inches???)
8.    Bookcase
9.    End tables
10.  Chair
11.  Ottoman
Bedroom # 2
1.     Full bed
2.     Computer desk
3.    Slipper chair
4.    Paint
5.    Area Rug
Patio
1.     Chairs
2.     Rug
3.    Flower boxes
Kitchen
1.     Silver paint
Total
$3500

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Switching Mortgage Lenders

I think that in my last post, I prematurely wrote about taking a break from the property search. Yes, this has been a stressful time. While the feeling was genuine, it isn't a true reflection of where I am in the process.  I have been in this property search for sometime now and at this stage, I'm almost desperate to get to closing. I'm tired of attending open houses. I'm tired of  putting my search criteria in Streeteasy and Trulia and somehow hoping that the results will be different.  Though I was reluctant to search for yet another mortgage lender, I had to do just that.  It had all happened out of my curiosity and frustration that I walked into a  bank and asked to speak to a loan officer. It was free and didn't require a commitment. I told the loan officer about my concerns and the trials of the last several months. Then I asked about the cooperative that I made the offer on. And to my surprise he knew it well. He had just close on an apartment in that buildin

Choosing Paint Colors and Patterns

I’m always impressed by the way that furniture stores layout furniture. The photo above was taken at a Macy’s furniture store a few years ago.  The brass bed frame, dark wood armoire and end tables are all part of the Martha Stewart Turkey Hill collection. At the time this photo was taken, this was the look that I wanted for my dream bedroom.  My tastes have changed ( for the better I hope), but I still like the gray blue color on the wall. Over the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about paint colors. I thought, I had finally decided on a light blue paint color for the living room. But then I changed my mind. I have narrowed it down to the following: This is the sky light view paint from Valspar. It was my first choose but then I thought maybe I should try something darker. This is the twin cities paint. Then I wanted something blue and found this Silver Dusk color I like patterns and I have been thinking about doing a stenciled accent wall in the livi