Skip to main content

Home Sweet Home. Not So Fast.


One of the reasons that I haven’t posted in a while is because I didn't want to have to write the words, I’m still waiting for mortgage commitment from HSBC. Seeing those words written, as you can probably imaging, is disheartening. I am so emotionally attached to the property and exhausted that we've been in contract for two months and yet haven’t been able to secure a mortgage. I have decorated in my mind, chosen colors for the living room and entry hallway.

Perhaps it’s a tiny bit crazy, but I strongly believed that this would have been a shorter process.  I am a first time home buyer so I didn't know what I didn't know.  I didn't think that I had unrealistic expectations either. I had already compromise on the ideal neighborhood. I compromise on the cost. I compromise on having a kitchen full of updated cabinets and stainless steel appliances. I compromise on having an updated bathroom. I have watched hours of televisions shows were two weeks after making an offer and going into contract, completed renovation work, the perspective homebuyer had moved in and decorated their property. That’s not the case here.
Last Thursday, a week ago, I resent my mortgage broker my student loan documents showing that I have a year and half grace period to start repaying the loan. I contacted the HSBC mortgage lender on Monday and she stated that she was still waiting for approval from the mortgage underwriter.  This is also the same week that my attorney contacted me; Apparently the sellers wanted to know what the hold was. This was also the week that my Realtor called; she wanted to know why the bank had not been in touch to schedule the appraisal.
I started this blog to journal the home buying process but who knew that I would have gotten so much material.
If anyone else is in the process of buying a home in New York or any other State for that matter, please leave a comment below and let me know about your experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to My Blog!

Hello, my name is Marissa. I’m new to blogging. I don’t have a degree in design and I’m not a professional decorator. I just love decorating.
I love home improvement and design shows. I love HGTV and apartmenttherapy.com. 
My favorite shows are House Hunters, The High Low Project, The Property Brothers, Love It or List It and Property Virgins.
I’m also in the process of buying my first home, a cooperative apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Buying a home is a giant step but it’s also an expensive one too.
I have big plans for my first home. However I'm now realizing that most of the work I planned for the home, I can't afford.
I have been looking for a home for several years, but seriously looking for about a year. Most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I live and work in Brooklyn so it only made sense for me to stay here. But Brooklyn real estate is not cheap.
My Coop wish lists were: a two bedroom apartment, with lots of closet space, natural light and windows in the kitchen and bathroom. I…

Debt Free Journey

In the last few months,   I started 2 new jobs and bought a car. But let me start at the beginning.  In 2016, I made a resolution, along with the usual lose weight promises of years past, this year I had a plan of focusing on my financial future. Managing my debt. I asked myself what goals I wanted to accomplish in 2016 and developed a plan of how to accomplished those goals. I made a vision board and then I drew my own mind map. I was watching motivation videos on YouTube and TED talks. I would watch Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey and be inspired. I was on a goal of financial self-improvement.
I made it a goal to find a higher paying job with my company. I mastered the “tell me about yourself” question and practiced my response in the mirror. I was confident. And after multiply revisions to my resume, careful crafted cover letters and multiple interviews, my hard work paid off. I got a job. Yeah me! Three years after graduate school, I finally got a job in my field.  With new job came …

Budgeting and the New York Lifestyle

The other day I met up with my good friend, Tracey, for lunch. These days we always seem to talk more about our careers and financial matters.  Tracey and I are in the same career field but have different kinds of responsibility. My job, for a large government agency, requires me to spend long hours on my feet and travel to many locations. Glamorous it’s not but it allows me a lot of autonomy. Tracey works on a yearly contract for a University in Manhattan. I live in Brooklyn with a roommate. Tracey lives in Manhattan with a roommate.
Tracey complained about her lack of autonomy and job security.  Tracey, like many people, feels that she is underpaid for the life style that she wants to live. I mentioned several times in this blog how totally uncool I am. I don’t hang out in trendy coffee shops and don’t spend long hours queuing to get into the hottest new restaurants. I don’t have a gym membership. Instead I take great pleasure in finding free and inexpensive things to do around the …