Skip to main content

Furniture Shopping

One of the things I love about New York is it’s accessibility to shops.  I love window shopping, especially for furniture. Yesterday my friend Dominique and I went shopping.  We looked around Pier 1 Imports but there were nothing really that stood out or grabbed our attention. Disappointed, we wondered around the mass of people on the overcrowded street until we stumbled upon a store called Restoration Hardware. 
Neither of us had been there before, so we decided to have a look. First impression, this was definitely an upscale furniture store and nothing like down-market Pier 1 Imports. 
The furniture hankers back to that old Hollywood style that appealed to me. Dominique on the other hand hated it. She felt it was too over the top. 
We both agreed though that the look was definitely not for apartment dwellers. The furniture was large and over-sized.
  Personally I liked the upholstered headboards, the dining chairs, But it just didn't seem to fit the style of my dream first home. Also, I don’t want to blow my entire home d├ęcor budget of $3500 on a headboard.  Check out these pictures and tell me what you think.

round dining table

Popular posts from this blog

Dipping My Toes

While surfing StreetEasy, I noticed that there was a new two-bedroom apartment listed in my ideal neighborhood. The price is absolutely ridiculously overpriced though I was curious and wanted to see the apartment in person. I knew from past experience that the apartment looks much larger usually in person than they appear on line. I clicked the call the agent feature on StreetEasy and I was connected to a Broker name Owen. Owen isn’t the listing agent however he would meet with me at the property and offer me guidance, realtor services if I needed to make an offer.  I wasn’t going to make an offer.  Firstly, the property was ridiculously overpriced.  Secondly, it was small.  The apartment opens into a small foyer where you can see the living/dining area. Left of the foyer was a retro pink bathroom, then a master bedroom with two nice closets (one of them a walk in).  The second bedroom is actually I half bedroom right off the kitchen. Owen made a point of telling me that the kitchen c…

Debt Free Journey

In the last few months,   I started 2 new jobs and bought a car. But let me start at the beginning.  In 2016, I made a resolution, along with the usual lose weight promises of years past, this year I had a plan of focusing on my financial future. Managing my debt. I asked myself what goals I wanted to accomplish in 2016 and developed a plan of how to accomplished those goals. I made a vision board and then I drew my own mind map. I was watching motivation videos on YouTube and TED talks. I would watch Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey and be inspired. I was on a goal of financial self-improvement.
I made it a goal to find a higher paying job with my company. I mastered the “tell me about yourself” question and practiced my response in the mirror. I was confident. And after multiply revisions to my resume, careful crafted cover letters and multiple interviews, my hard work paid off. I got a job. Yeah me! Three years after graduate school, I finally got a job in my field.  With new job came …

Welcome to My Blog!

Hello, my name is Marissa. I’m new to blogging. I don’t have a degree in design and I’m not a professional decorator. I just love decorating.
I love home improvement and design shows. I love HGTV and apartmenttherapy.com. 
My favorite shows are House Hunters, The High Low Project, The Property Brothers, Love It or List It and Property Virgins.
I’m also in the process of buying my first home, a cooperative apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Buying a home is a giant step but it’s also an expensive one too.
I have big plans for my first home. However I'm now realizing that most of the work I planned for the home, I can't afford.
I have been looking for a home for several years, but seriously looking for about a year. Most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I live and work in Brooklyn so it only made sense for me to stay here. But Brooklyn real estate is not cheap.
My Coop wish lists were: a two bedroom apartment, with lots of closet space, natural light and windows in the kitchen and bathroom. I…