Skip to main content

How will being a homeowner impact my friendships?

Yesterday I received my mortgage denial letter from HSBC, I wouldn't bore you with the details but basically it cited my student loans as a reason for the denial. Fair enough. I was not angry.  I wasn't disappointed. I guess I just became accustomed to bad news.   And though my loan application is pending with another lender, I've been reflecting on my experiences over the last few months. There have been a lot of lessons learned along this home buying journey. One of those being that buying a home can be extremely stressful.

I had a very modest upbringing  and by no means did I grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. I grew up seeing my parents and their families working.  When they had a goal they created steps to attend that goal. Similarly I have worked hard to achieve my goal of home ownership. Anyone who has really known me over the past five years knows the sacrifices I’ve made to achieve this long held goal of being a homeowner. And as I have been documenting over the last two months, the road to home ownership has been very difficult and emotional. I have been denied a mortgage and have faced several other setbacks that would have deterred anyone from buying a home. But I’m also very determined. I’m also stubborn. My point is, it has not been a cakewalk. With all the challenges that comes with searching for a home, going into contact, getting a commitment letter and getting to closing, I have also overlooked one important factor: how my new homeowner status would impact my friends.

Let me just say, I have a fairly good circle of friends, people I can call on in an emergency and vice versa.  However, I have selected to share my home buying journey with very few. Why? I wanted to keep it quiet until I had the keys in my hand. I didn’t want to be disappointed and likewise, I didn’t want to disappoint them. For the most part their feedback has been wonderful and supportive. However one of my friends has not shown me that same level of support. My friend, let’s call her Mary.  Mary and I have been friends for five years. We work for the same organization, and have many other similarities. As Mary was my friend, I shared with her my goal of one day buying a cooperative apartment. She was supportive of my goal, even went with me to several open houses over the years. Then earlier this year, I fell in love with a 2 bedroom apartment that ticked all the boxes on my “ideal apartment list” and even better, the coop was walking distance from my friend. I was happy. I was excited.

I showed Mary pictures of the home that I had taken with my cell phone camera. And she seemed happy for me, at the time. But then overtime her behavior became strange and distant. We no longer exchange text messages like we use to or ride the train together after work. We never exchanged an angry word to each other. The demise of our friendship is difficult to write about as I'm not 100% percent certain what has caused the change in her behavior. My educated guess is that she is angry at me, for what really? buying a home? I know it sounds ridiculous.  Has anyone else experiences this with their friends or a family member?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Here

When I started this blog a year ago, I was in contract on a two bedroom cooperative in Brooklyn, NY. I was very enthusiastic about getting the property and I started planning my design strategies. A year later after being denied by the coop board for the property, I have taken a bit of a break from my home search. I will still update the blog from time to time. However, I am less enthusiastic about the property search and haven't really seen a coop that grabs my attention like that first apartment did. There are certain things that I do not want to compromise on such as location, price and bedroom space. I haven't become a homeowner just yet but I haven't lost all hope of that happening. It just may take a longer time and I'm ok with that.

Money, Money, Money

Home-buying can be emotionally draining and stressful process. More than the process of searching for a home, making an offer, waiting for the seller to accept or counter your offer and then applying for a mortgage, I’m finding the financial to be the most stressful of all. For years, I have diligently saved and deprived myself certain luxuries in the hopes that I would someday become a homeowner. But now here I am writing the check for down payment, handing over what took me the greater part of two and a half years to accumulate. And then after that, there is the closing cost which is another huge chunk of change. As we get closer to the closing day, I find myself in a mini-panic. The money that I’m using to pay for my down payment and closing cost could actually afford me a three-bedroom, one bath with a finished basement and back yard in Pennsylvania. I could have bought a home in Pennsylvania for cash! It’s a little vexing that as a first-time home buyer in Brooklyn, NY, my home

Another Setback

As if I needed any more convincing that there is an entity or higher being that doesn't want me to purchase my first apartment. Last week while at work, I got two missed calls from my real estate agent, each a minute apart. On the second call she left a voice-mail message asking me to get in touch. I didn't immediately think that there were any concerns as the day prior we were talking about me signing the contract and completing my coop board application. I was super excited about the process now and my previous anxiety were beginning to fade away. I called the real estate agent back but I was not at all prepared for what she had to say.   “Are you at work?” she asked.  “Yes”, I responded.  “I wanted to talk to you when you're home,” “What's going on?” I asked finally coming to the realization that all was not well.  “I don't think you're going to be able to move forward on the property.” “What? Why?” “Well, the Sellers’s attorney informed me th